The “side-scrolling, soul-shifting sandbox action adventure” game AMEDAMA for PC (Steam) has been revealed by IzanagiGames and Acquire. There are also plans to add support for more devices. When it comes out in 2023, it will be able to be used in Japanese, English, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese.
From the game’s Steam page, here’s what you need to know:
Yushin and his sister Yui run the local umbrella shop. One evening, as rain falls outside, a group of men burst in, killing Yushin before Yui’s eyes. With nothing but his soul remaining, Yushin must fight tooth and nail, possessing any body he can on the quest to find his sister and uncover the truth behind her disappearance. With only seven days left before his soul fades away, can he save her in time? Transport yourself to feudal Japan in the last years of the Edo period, and experience a tale of rain and reincarnation, brought to life with striking new 2D visuals.
- Soul-Shifting Showdowns – Lacking a physical form, you’ll need to shift your soul to other bodies on the quest to find your sister. Possession puts you in complete control of whoever and whatever you inhabit, giving you access to a variety of weapons and fighting styles. Depending on your current body, you’ll face different foes and encounter new faces on your incorporeal journey.
- Reincarnation, Repercussions – As you relive the same seven day period over and over again, your choices will impact the story unfolding around you. Who will you speak to? How will you intervene? The decisions, and the outcomes, are all up to you.
- Inclement Intrigue – This human drama plays out against the rain-soaked backdrop of mid 19th century Japan, rendered in an evocative pixel style. In the somber world of AMEDAMA, beauty and darkness are two sides of the same coin.
Aihama, Japan. The final years of the Edo period. One rain-drenched evening, a group of men burst into the town’s brother and sister-run umbrella shop. Yushin is cut down in front of his sister Yui, leaving her alone in the world. The next thing he knows, he is looking down at his own stricken corpse—a soul without a body. The grim incident shatters the peace in this quiet backwater. Lurking beneath the surface is an intricate, deep-rooted plot, shrouded in mystery. Until Yui is safe, not even death is enough to extinguish Yushin’s soul. He’ll stop at nothing on his quest, shifting from body to body, possessing anyone and anything to rescue his sister. But with just seven days before his soul departs this world—can he save Yui in time?
This is a tale of rain, reincarnation, and revenge.
- Development / Marketing: IzanagiGames
- Planning: Acquire
- Character Design: lack (Fate/Grand Order, Touken Ranbu)
- Soundtrack: Yuko Komiyama (Monster Hunter series)